Maras Aksu TV, November 20, 2008

Adnan Oktar: The mental hospital happened like this: When I brought out my book “Judaism and Freemasonry” the press really went for me, and they detained me for a sentence I spoke, saying, “I am of the Turkish People, of the Nation of Islam.” I am of the Turkish People, of the Nation of Islam, nothing more than that. I was detained for that. I spent 9 months in prison and was then transferred to a mental hospital. I was held for 10 months in the hospital, in an old building left over from the time of Sultan Abdul Hamid, with 300 mental patients, some of whom had killed people. I was not allowed out into the garden or to use the telephone. Yet even patients who had killed were allowed out at that time. But I was forbidden, and I was even forbidden to speak to the doctors and nurses. During my time there, patients killed 7 people; in other words, it was a dreadful environment. One full of aggressive mental patients. After 10 months, Allah allowed me to leave. The mental patient report was invalidated by the upper board, 4th department, but the press still claimed I was mentally ill for years after, as if to suggest that people should not read my books, as I was mad, so people should not read what I wrote. But the military hospital issued a report saying I was completely sound in mind and body. Then the press fell silent, and the matter was thus resolved. As for why that operation was carried out, I leave that to the discretion of the Turkish nation. I mean, I know what happened, but I leave it to the Turkish nation to work out.

Cay TV, July 23, 2008

Adnan Oktar: Yes, he was the chief of the hospital, the head physician. He first warned me through the doctors. He warned the doctors where I was, and they channeled it to me. When I did my preaching, they moved me to the acute ward, which was full of aggressive, dangerous patients who had not yet been treated. After being held there for a while, they thought I had learned a lesson and would give up my activity, and they let me out after holding me for 10-15 days. They put me in the chronic ward. I continued my activities there, I continued preaching. They took me back to the acute ward, but saw I was not going to give in, so this time they put me somewhere full of mental patients who had killed people. In other words, they put me in a place with all the craziest patients. But they saw there was no change in me, so they put me in an entirely closed unit. There was a garden there. It was an old building left over from the time of Sultan Abdul Hamid. The place consisted of a single stone building with 300 patients, mental patients who had even committed murder. They put me in there. Once the doors had closed behind me they said, “You will never leave here.” They put me in a place like a cell and said, “And no phone calls. You will stay here.” But in my preaching activities I now spoke to the doctors and nurses. Medical students used to visit and I also preached to them. Some of them were quite affected, and I was then banned from speaking to the doctors and nurses. This is how it happened. We heard that Yıldırım Aktuna and an accompanying delegation were coming to the hospital, to our section. Preparations were made. Everyone stood to attention. I stood to attention. We all stood in line, doctors, nurses, everyone. The late Yıldırım Aktuna arrived, and after looking us over he told me what I was not to do. "For one thing, no women wearing the headscarf are to come here,” he said. “You are not to do any preaching here,” he said. “You are not to speak to the students, nor the doctors, nor the nurses,” he said. “So who can I talk to?” I asked. “You can talk to the patients. Talk to them,” he replied. “They can’t understand anything,” I said. They were mad, beyond understanding. Some used to hit their heads against the walls, some would weep and others would roll around on the ground. “What can I talk to them about?” I asked. “In that case, go to your room and meditate,” he said. “Think about why you are here. That will put you right,” he said. I saw there was nothing to be done.

Cay TV: What did they want from you? Why did they want you to abandon your work on Judaism and Freemasonry?

Adnan Oktar: They sent word to me at that time, to the hospital. They suggested we could resolve the court issue, that they could pay me a specific fee if I were to stop my activities, some 300 billion in today’s money, at a guess. I turned them down of course. “Out of the question. That is a wicked proposition, it is out of the question,” I said. They then stepped matters up a bit. There was a patient called Hüseyin who manned the door. His job was to stop me going out. There was a steel door. He was always there shouting and going on, and he was posted there. He used to allow all the patients to go out. But not me. They had warned him. “Don’t let him out,” they said. So he didn’t. Sometimes, very rarely, they used to let me go outside with my mother. But I was not allowed to make phone calls or speak to friends when I went out.

Kackar TV, February 2, 2008

Adnan Oktar: Yes, when my book Judaism and Freemasonry first appeared it was the first comprehensive, document-based, convincing and satisfying work on the subject. Earlier works were not credible and satisfactory. But there was no question of not believing the original documents photographed in my works, in the book “Judaism and Freemasonry.” It was totally credible. They saw that my initiative was a very dangerous one, and the mental hospital side of things then began. They held me for 10 months among completely irrational mental patients, who were unable to look after themselves, speak or walk, who hit their heads against the walls, wept and rolled around on the ground. And that, for a sane person…

Kackar TV: What did you do about food and drink during that time?

Adnan Oktar: My mother used to bring food. The mental patients would rush up and take the food out of her hands. They were irrational, mad, and out of control. Since my mother was an elderly she was not as well able to withstand the place as me. As a mother, she would grow pale, and I saw her turn bright yellow when she saw the lunatics there. But she still had to walk through the ward to bring my food to me. A lone woman, an elderly woman, would walk through all those mental patients. That was real torture. An act of torture all by itself. I mean, it is one thing for it to be done to me. But why torture an elderly woman like that? She used to cross through that whole crowded ward to get to me. There is a lot else I could say, and I have only described one part of it. They thought they could wear me down there, but such things do not wear me down. Neither torture, nor prison, nor death threats nor other such things wear me down. It is the same now as in the time of the Messenger of Allah (saas). Such things do not wear a Muslim down. It is meaningless for anyone who is worn down by such things to be a Muslim. We all know that a Muslim will be tested through such trials and tribulations, and that it is not easy to enter Paradise, insha’Allah. It is not easy to earn Allah’s approval, but we aim to attain His approval. It is only through such things that Allah’s love and approval are possible. It is only possible through tribulations, and it is Allah Who creates all these, Who creates all things. What a Muslim must do is to confront these things with submission to Allah and regard them as an excellent test.

Kackar TV: Did they take you directly to prison from the mental hospital at Bakırköy?

Adnan Oktar: I was first detained and held in prison for a while. I spent some 9 months in a cell, in a very small cell, and I was put on a wing containing murderers. That ward, with its cells known as the one-by-ones, was for people who had committed crimes in prison. They were really tiny cells, no bigger than that… I spent 9 months in that cell. From there they sent me to the mental hospital, where I spent 10 months. Then they saw I was not going to give in, that I was still continuing with my activities and that there was no getting over it, so they let me go. And after that my circles of friends expanded greatly. The number of people sympathizing with me grew considerably during my time in hospital. They must have thought that there was no solution, as they then lifted the pressure on me at that time.

Kackar TV: As you carry out this work, who do you seek to reach and have success with? Because your circle is growing all the time.

Adnan Oktar: Everyone with a conscience and an open heart. Nobody specific. People have the idea that I only have dealings with wealthy, imposing and well-educated people. That is completely wrong. I will talk to anyone, so long as they are honest, genuine believers. There may be some people who think I live a life of great ease, a life of milk and honey. But if anyone thinks he could survive 10 days in the mental hospital where I spent 10 months, I would like to meet him. He could not stand it for even 10 days. Nobody could bear it. That is the form my struggle has generally taken, up to the present. It has been a struggle of constant and never-ending difficulties. But that is fine with me. I am grateful to Allah. But that is only how it looks from the outside, on the surface. I would not show anything else.

Malatya TV, December 26, 2008

Adnan Oktar: I can provide some details about the prison. The wing I was on was known as the one-by-one [single cell] wing. But the interesting thing is that mentally disturbed inmates were held on that wing, too. There was one Abdülkerim, for example. He was ill, seriously disturbed. Immediately opposite us was Hüseyin. He was really disturbed, too. These disturbed patients used to scream and shout in the night. Their illnesses made them react in very strong ways. I was housed in one of those very small cells. I spent 9 months there. Then, as you know, I was held in prison but not in a single cell. I spent 9 or 10 months there. But the time I spent in the mental hospital was much worse because I was chained by my foot. The chain was so short my foot used to be suspended in the air when I prayed. Then they added another length of chain. That was more comfortable, with a 50 or 60-cm extension. That was how things stood. What need was there for me to be chained? I fail to understand. I still wonder about it because I am a very peaceful, humane and affectionate person. Maybe one could consider chaining someone if there is a risk of them becoming aggressive. But such patients were not actually treated in that way. They were even allowed to go home. They could use the telephone. I was not allowed to make phone calls. I was not allowed out, not allowed out into the garden. What is interesting is that there were doctors and nurses there, and doctors coming in as practitioners or for trainings, but I was forbidden to talk to them. That was the interesting state of affairs at that time.

Nevsehir TV, July 20, 2008

Adnan Oktar: Things were done that had never been seen in the history of the Republic [of Turkey]. I witnessed them all with the most utter amazement. That mental hospital phase, for instance. I am an author, I write books, and as you can see I am perfectly sane. I am not a mental patient who will attack anyone or has no idea what he is saying. But they imprisoned me in a stone building left over from the time of Sultan Abdul Hamid and housing mental patients who had killed and shed blood, killed their own husbands or wives and were totally crazed. I was not allowed to go out. The mental patients were allowed out, but I was not. I was there for 10 months with them shouting out and hurling themselves onto the floor. You know what mental hospitals are like. People are frightened even to visit them. Lunatics used to attack my visitors. My lawyer could not get in at all. I kept him apart from the mental patients. My older brother and mother would come, and they tried to attack them, but I prevented them. I tried to prevent them by talking to them, getting on their side and trying not to anger them. I was amazed that a sane person, an intellectual, should be held for 10 months among mental patients who had killed. It was really extraordinary. Seven people were killed during my time there, in my ward. They would attack each other with steel trays or throw whatever came to hand or smash someone’s head against the wall. They would kill like that, and those killings were immediately covered up. After being held there for 10 months they sent me to the 4th Specialist Court. A report that I was sane was issued there. I then went to the military hospital and was issued, as you know, a report stating I was sound and healthy in mind and body and entirely eligible for military service.

Tempo TV, December 24, 2008

Adnan Oktar: The first time I was handcuffed it happened in a bus. I gave thanks to Allah and it was heard. I liked it very much. The cuffs were tight on my hands. All a Muslim’s trials and tribulations on Allah’s path will return to him in the form of Allah’s approval, and the more the difficulty, the greater the approval. For example, when I returned to prison from the forensic medicine department it was like something out of a film. There was straw everywhere and the pillows had had their stuffing torn out. During my time in the mental hospital I was held alongside mental patients. The interesting thing is that when I was in prison mental patients were held in the individual cells, and I was held alongside them there. There was a mental patient right opposite and another right close by. They brought a young man who had set a forest to fire, he was a mental patient and would scream all night until morning. There was another mental patient who was the same. I was not allowed outside, and I stayed in those really difficult conditions for 9 months or so. I was then held with 300 mental patients for another 10 months in an old building left over from the time of Sultan Abdul Hamid. But these were not just ordinary mental patients; they were aggressive and very hard to control, people who had killed. They killed 7 people during my time there. It was somewhere where there were often bloody fights, a place of acts of violence. And I spent 10 months there. I was not allowed out and not permitted to use the phone. One day the late Yıldırım Aktuna had us all lined up and stood to attention. We were all there; nurses, doctors and me, of course. Yıldırım Aktuna told me I was not allowed to speak to my friends and that I was forbidden to speak to the doctors and nurses. Trainee doctors would come, and I was forbidden to speak to them, too. I asked him who I could talk to. He said I could only talk to the patients. He did not call them mental patients, but he said I could only talk to the patients. I said they were incapable of understanding anything. He said I should go to my room, a very dark and horrible place, and think long and hard, think about myself, and think about why I was there and that sort of thing. The conditions were really difficult there. At one stage they even chained my foot to the bed, which I failed to understand. Initially, during the forensic medicine stage, they kept me tied with a very short chain. I complained that it was very hard to pray with such a short chain and asked them if they could lengthen it a bit. They later brought another longer piece of chain, some 50-60 cm in length, and it was easier for me to pray after that, I could move easier, and that was a real blessing. But I still did not understand why I was chained at all. It was quite amazing to me because the mental patients would look on and wonder what was wrong with me, why I was chained. It was a very thick, stout chain. I remember I was amazed why they felt the need to take such precautions, and was unable to understand it. Of course it was for the best, and there was wisdom in it. These are things that lead to Allah’s approval, but they are still quite baffling.


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8